By Anne O'Brien
After the dying of her stepfather, girl Rosamund de Longsprey proposal to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and overlooked lands, Rose is set to make it paintings as the replacement isn't really anything she is keen to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as made up our minds to take again his lands that have been stolen from his relatives. Fitz Osbern indicates up and speedy takes keep an eye on of the citadel a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is prepared to provide any floor, nor will both one put up. Will someone live on? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I completely enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize particularly by chance as i used to be searching the cabinets of a neighborhood paperback trade book place. The blurb at the again stuck my awareness, however it was once your time prior to I opened it. i used to be quick stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly came across myself racing to learn to work out the way it may all finish. either Rose and Gervase are powerful and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed real to these traits during the tale and nonetheless had a truly pleasant end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking on the property. It comes throughout really brutally, and that i came upon myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. girl Rose--she is astounding! She is opinionated, made up our minds, crafty, proud, and shrewdpermanent. She can be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale stepped forward. certain, she used to be blameless of many ways of the area, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet continually for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He was once robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. even supposing he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it is going to ship Rose working. His makes an attempt are fairly humorous considering the fact that he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility from time to time. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his common allure quite shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's pal further a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and no longer so sophisticated methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to realize the higher hand. I additionally favored that it wasn't regularly person who got here out on most sensible. in reality, it usually appeared considered. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the girl is so naïve that she is has to be rescued by way of an all realizing guy. right here, we had a well-balanced conflict the place not anyone ever looked as if it would really be in command of the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's absolute to be sparks once they meet. They either slowly and carefully fall in love with the opposite. And it used to be effortless to determine why they enjoyed every one other.
6. The Ending--with either made up our minds to be the conqueror, it was once nail-biting to attend and spot how obdurate humans could come jointly with out filing. It used to be good performed. I enjoyed how Rose positioned to exploit the unorthodox recommendation of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The in basic terms factor that I didn't like was once the different flashbacks: it used to be a piece complicated from time to time. Am I studying anything occurring instantaneously? Or did this take place previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It used to be a hugely unique tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback trade shop.